Monday, November 01, 2010

A Very Late Hari Raya Post

The majority of people in the Philippines are Christians, and I was raised as one, so really, I never had to immerse myself in Muslim practices and celebrations first-hand. Before we came, I thought that being here wouldn't bring a lot of new experiences and surprises, but I was wrong.

Experiencing Ramadan, for example. No, we didn't join the fasting, but we learned to be very careful not to eat or drink in public. Just common courtesy, and consideration, really, but it's one of those things that we can only fully understand if we are out of our comfort zones.

And Hari Raya celebrations. Honestly, it's a shame that I had no idea how they were going to celebrate it considering how many Muslim friends/classmates I had when I was growing up.

I was very surprised to learn that it felt a lot like having Christmas in the Philippines----minus Santa and the christmas tees, of course. Colorful lights, visiting people's houses, buffet-styled feasts, sharing gifts, giving money to children, wearing new clothes...it was very nice.


Big Girl in a Baju Kurung, her Open House uniform



Above and Below: Big Girl together with her dad and his students during their school's Open House


I am already looking forward to next year's celebrations. Next time, I will get myself a nice Baju Kurung, as well!

3 comments:

Earvs said...

You should get your Baju Kurung. go go gooooo! =)

Mega Stina said...

naisip ko nga, pagawa na ko soon, pang-uniform! :)

Mega Stina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.